Recuperating at Codorus State Park

My XYL and I spent the weekend camping at Codorus State Park (K/KFF-1342) in south-central Pennsylvania.  When we were here last year, we had a weekend of bad weather.  This year, it was a tale of bad traffic, bad knees and bad propagation.

With a late start and heavy traffic, it was dark by the time we arrived at Codorus on Friday. After setting up the trailer it was getting late so I decided to wait until morning to set up my antenna.  We were in a heavily-wooded camp site, so my antenna wound up surrounded by large trees.

My antenna at Codorus State Park. The trees helped to maintain a low profile but probably didn't do much for its efficiency.
My antenna at Codorus State Park. The trees helped to maintain a low profile but probably didn’t do much for its efficiency.

The day before we left for Codorus, I injured my knee and paid a visit to the local urgent care facility.  The doctor said I needed to stay off of it for a few days and ice it several times each day.  Following my doctor’s orders, I spent much of the weekend relaxing in my reclining camp chair with my KX3 on a table next to me.

Icing my injured knee while making contacts.
Icing my injured knee while making contacts.

I didn’t do an announced activation at Codorus; instead, I just tuned around making contacts where I could find them.  Along with some Ohio and Kansas QSO Party stations, I worked an interesting assortment of stations.   On Sunday morning, I woke up to the news that there was a geomagnetic storm in progress.  The dead bands confirmed that; I only managed a few more contacts over the rest of the weekend.  Fortunately, I made more than enough contacts on Saturday for a qualifying POTA activation.

Here are some of the highlights:

  • I made park-to-park contacts with Joe N2CX at K/KFF-1461 and K/KFF-1452 in Wisconsin.
  • On Saturday afternoon, Ron WB3KVR answered my CQ on 40M.  It turned out that Ron was also camping in Codorus and operating QRP.  After we signed, I drove over to his campsite for an “eyeball QSO.”  Ron stopped by my campsite the next day to see my set up.
  • On Saturday evening, I worked LZ1146SPS in Bulgaria on 30M.  The unusual callsign is for a special event by the Bulgarian Radio Club Blagovestnik.
  • I wrapped things up on Monday morning with a contact on 30M with K0RU/M in Kansas City, Kansas.  Rob was operating while driving to work.  I’m always amazed by hams who can carry on a CW conversation while driving.  Very impressive!

Although the bands could have been better, I still enjoyed my lazy weekend resting my ailing knee and playing around on the radio.

72, Craig WB3GCK





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: